The Jacob Edwards Library, in conjunction with the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners (MBLC), the Massachusetts Library System (MLS), and the C/WMARS Network, provides free access to subscription-based resources to assist patron research needs. If you need assistance at any point during your research, please feel free to contact the reference librarian by calling 508.764.5426 x105 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
When Searching for a Book or Other Requestable Items:
1. Check the CW/MARS catalog and request item if found - https://southbridge.cwmars.org/eg/opac/home
2. Check Commonwealth Catalog and request item if found: https://www.cwmars.org/search/commonwealth-catalog
3. Books or other printed items published prior to 1923 may be found on websites such as:
4. Outside library catalog methods for locating and purchasing older, or out-of-print books include, but are not limited to these websites:
When Searching for Articles or Periodicals:
1. Check the electronic databases provided by JEL.
2. Register for an e-card from the Boston Public Library. BPL eCards are available to anyone who lives, resides, owns property, or works in Massachusetts. Once registered, log in and search databases.
3. Articles in journals or periodicals published prior to 1923 may be found in databases such as:
4. Sometimes, publishers or authors themselves make recently-created works available in full-text format on their websites in an freely-accessible way. It is worth checking publisher's and author's websites to see if articles are available in this manner.
5. Most items produced by local, city, state, or federal agencies are available online.